TELEHEALTH VIDEO CONSULTATIONS
If you are unwell, been told to self-isolate or choosing to self-distance we can continue your care via telehealth video consultations - which is a fancy way of saying online consultations!
A virtual consultation with your treating physiotherapist can be just as beneficial as a face to face. We can offer education, advice, instructions on how to 'self-treat' as well as exercise sessions and home exercise programs, to keep you on track.
Below, we’ve answered our patients frequently asked questions to help provide more information about how telehealth video consultations work.
- Can my treating physiotherapist conduct a proper assessment during a telehealth video consult?
Yes. Our physiotherapists assess your presenting concern via two main types of assessment. One involves asking you questions relevant to diagnosing the cause of your issue, the other is a physical examination which may involve watching how you perform certain movements or tasks. Both techniques can be done via telehealth - much of the information we gain from asking you questions gives us a very good understanding of what is contributing to your issue. From there, we can formulate your diagnosis and treatment plan.
2. Can my physiotherapist provide proper treatment online?
Much of what physiotherapists provide in the way of treatment is advice and education, as well as a targeted rehabilitation/management program. This converts very well to an online setting. Hands-on or manual treatment with your physio is obviously not available, however there are many ways your therapist can teach you to self-treat to help provide symptom relief, as we always do during our face to face consultations.
3. Is my consultation and information discussed secure?
Yes. We use a video conferencing feature through our online booking system, Cliniko to provide virtual consultations. It is an encrypted, secure platform. The best thing is, it's super easy to use. Once we book your appointment, you will receive an email that contains an access link. At the time of your appointment, simply click the link and it will take you directly to your telehealth video consultation.
4. How can I learn the exercises, or get the handouts required?
We use a program called Physiapp which enables us to send you your individually prescribed exercises with pictures, videos and instructions, as well as educational handouts and any questionnaires required. You can download Physiapp via the app store for apple devices, and the google play store for android. To access online you can login via www.physiapp.com - your treating physiotherapist will email you your access code.
5. Do my online consultations qualify for a private health insurance or medicare rebate?
Yes! Private health insurance and medicare rebates are now available for telehealth services with a physiotherapist.
- From the 14th of April 2020, private health funds will offer rebates for telehealth services. To read more and see if you are eligible, please click here - as rebates depend on what you are personally covered for, please always check your individual eligibility with your private health fund directly.
- Medicare rebates are now available for clients who hold a current Enhanced Primary Care (EPC) plan which approves them for physiotherapy consultations. For more information about how EPC plans work in our practice, please contact our reception team.
To book, click the button below or contact our reception team at your preferred location - 9822 4999 (Armadale) 9486 0512 (East Melbourne).