Motivation Monday: Mediterranean Dreaming
Motivation Monday – Mediterranean Dreaming
Anyone else dreaming about the Mediterranean? Yes, that European summer holiday we wished we had booked to escape Melbourne’s winter? Well, although it’s not the same as swimming in the Mediterranean, let’s take some time on this Monday morning to discuss the Mediterranean way of eating.
The Mediterranean way of eating can be beneficial for our health. Research has shown that by consuming the med-diet we can…
- - keep our cholesterol levels within the recommended range
- - lower our risk of Type 2 diabetes
- - manage a healthy weight, and
- - reduce the risk of colorectal, breast and other cancers
The Mediterranean-way of eating includes:
- - High monounsaturated (eg. olive oil) to saturated (eg. fatty red meat) fat ratio
- - High intake of fruits and vegetables
- - High intake of legumes
- - High intake of grains &cereals
- - Moderate intake of fish, low fat dairy and white meat
- - Low intake of red meat, processed meat and egg
- - Low intake of sweets, sweet desserts & sweet drinks
- - Low to moderate intake of red wine
Why not give the Mediterranean way of eating a try by including some more oily fish in your day. A great way to start is with this salmon and soba noodle bowl; incorporating salmon, avocado, veggies and soba noodles. Enjoy!
Salmon and Soba Noodle Bowl – Serves 4
270g pkt soba noodles
1/2 cup (125ml) teriyaki marinade
1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice
3 tsp sesame oil
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
2 tbs sesame seeds, toasted
4 Salmon portions
4 radishes, thinly sliced
4 baby cucumbers, peeled into ribbons
1 ripe avocado, stoned, peeled, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, peeled, cut into long matchsticks
1 1/2 cups (120g) finely shredded red cabbage
- - Cook the noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions. Refresh under cold water. Drain well.
- - Combine the teriyaki marinade, lime juice, oil and ¼ cup (60ml) water in a small jug.
- - Place the noodles in a bowl with three-quarters of the spring onion and 1½ tbs of the sesame seeds. Add ⅔ cup (160ml) of the dressing and gently toss to combine. Season.
- - Spray the salmon with olive oil spray. Season. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the salmon for 2-3 mins each side for medium or until cooked to your liking.
- - Divide the noodle mixture among serving bowls. Arrange the radish, cucumber, avocado, carrot and cabbage over the noodle mixture. Top with salmon. Drizzle with the remaining dressing. Sprinkle with the remaining spring onion and sesame seeds.